Monday 8 April 2013

2 Days in the Lakes

I was meant to be riding in the Lakeland Loop Sportive but owing to the cold weather recently most of the high passes it was to pass through were shut with snowdrifts. With the accommodation being non-refundable and sunshine predicted on the rest of the roads I headed off to the Lakes to do some cycling anyway.
I was based at the Great Langdale Camp Site in one of the pods. See below. The pod was fantastic and i want one for my garden. Nice and warm inside with plenty of room for all my stuff and my bike with fantastic views from my door.




Day 1
I arrived at the campsite on the Saturday afternoon, set up the pod then went for a cycle in the lower lakes. I headed south through Conniston to Lakeside then back up through Hawkshead and back to the camp.

Weather was dry as a bone and as an introduction to Lake District cycling it was just the right length of cycle. You learn quickly that although not a large place the cycles are never flat. Plenty of up and the odd quality down!



Day 2
Went for a slightly longer and hillier ride on day 2. It started very quickly with a steep ascent over to Grassmere. You know how steep a road is when the signs are aimed at you!
After safely getting down I cycled over towards Keswick along a fantastic road aimed at cyclists. It ran alongside Thirlmere lake which was so still it was like a mirror.
I joined the C2C route in the north of the lakes and headed to Greystoke, which for those not in the know was the supposed birthplace of Tarzan. I headed there as I had read about a cyclists cafe on the C2C route. Alas it was on one of its 2 closed days a month but it did have a sign directing cyclists round the back of the cafe to a barn with tea and coffee for cyclists. It also had a great view of the Castle of Tarzans birth which after seeing I swung off into the cycle again!



The biggest challenge was to come. I headed over to Ullswater and along its beautiful shores to the less attractive Kirkstone Pass at 1500ft. I am proud to say I cycled up the steep side and pedalled every bit. It took 5 minutes to control the shaky legs at the top though but the descent into Windermere was worth it!

I can honestly say that was the hardest hill climb I have ever done. Although the other side would have been a longer gentler climb I'm not sure the steep descent would have been much fun so glad I took the steep side.

Finished the cycle with a cool down through Ambleside and into great Langdale followed by a hot shower and some Cumberland Sausage and Chips at the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel. 
A fantastic weekend of riding. I will definitely be back to try the snowed in passes when they are snowed out!


No comments:

Post a Comment