Tuesday 13 August 2013

My 1st Century...and a bit


Ive done plenty of cycles in the high 90's mile wise but never quite broke the century until yesterday.

The weather was forecast to be good on Arran yesterday so I decide not only to do the 57 mile circular route of the island but to cycle from Darvel to the Ardrossan ferry either side of it.

I just made the ferry at 11am which got me to the start of the circular about 12. I headed, as I always seem to do against advice, on the anti-clockwise route.


On my way to the biggest climb on the island (The Boughlie boo-g-lay) I saw seals in the bay and I'm pretty sure a basking shark.
I made the climb to the top which averages about 9-10% but goes on a long time on about 4 false summits. Unfortunately the decent wasn't much fun as there was a strong headwind.


Made great time along the Mull of Kintyre side of the island and saw some Cormorants dive bombing in the sea.
The south side of the island doesn't have hills like the Boughlie but has 5 or six that are hard and never a flat stretch between, although the new tarmac section at Blackwaterfoot is nice.
 I made it back to Brodick over the climbs at Lamlash and Whiting Bay unfortunately just missing the 16:40 ferry, but giving me time to have a chip butty and wait for the ferry at 6pm.

I was greeted on the Ardrossan side by a great tailwind which helped me home to Darvel, utterly knackered and ready for dinner with 110miles (175.5km) under the belt. Great ride to end my holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment